Last updated on February 17th, 2019 at 09:48 pm
The design of the Soviet Union’s T-26 light tank was based on that of Britain’s Vickers 6 Ton tank.
Although the British rejected the Vickers 6 Ton Tank, the T-26 was extremely successful.
The T-26 light tank was used during the Spanish Civil War and in the Winter War against Finland.
In World War II, the T-26 light tank was used at the Battle of Khalkhin Ghol, between Japan and the USSR, and during Operation Barbarossa, Germany’s attempted invasion of Russia. The Soviets also used T-26 tanks when they invaded Poland in 1939.
The T-26 had a hull that was different from the Vickers 6 Ton tank. It also had higher turrets. (Both tanks had twin turrets.) The turrets on the T-26 were redesigned to carry a DT machine gun.
Production of the T-26 began in 1931.
A single-turreted version, the T-26 B, was developed in 1933.
Variants of the T-26 light tank included a commander’s version with a radio, a self-propelled gun, a flame-thrower, a bridgelayer and a tank that contained a fog machine.
|Weight:||9.5 tons (9,600kg)|
|Length:||15ft 3in (4.65m)|
|Height:||7ft 4in (2.24m)|
|Width:||8ft 0in (2.44m)|
|Weapons:||Main – 1.77in (45mm) gun, Secondary – 0.3 inch (7.62mm) DT machinegun|
|Armor||Maximum – 0.59in (15mm)|
|Engine:||GAZ 4-cylinder gasoline, 90hp|
|Range:||150 miles (240 km)|